57th Troop Carrier Squadron Morale Patch WWII
57th Military Airlift Squadron
57th Airlift Squadron
57th Weapons Squadron
57th Troop Carrier Squadron (TCS)
57th Military Airlift Squadron (MAS)
57th Airlift Squadron (AS)
57th Weapons Squadron (WPS)
History and Lineage
On June 14, the air echelon (part of 375th Carrier Group) flew to Port Moresby, New Guinea, (5th AF and 54th Troop Carrier WG) arriving there June 29, 1943. The ground echelon left Baer Field on June 17 and arrived at Port Moresby on July 31. The 57th TCS moved on Aug. 2 to Dobodura, New Guinea and two days later flew the first mission to Salamaua. Soon after arriving in New Guinea the squadron received the name "Biscuit Bomber" (The name Biscuit Bomber comes from the dropping of food and ammunication to forward locations during WWII). On September 2, nine of the 57th's planes dropped 90,000 pounds of ammunition, food and equipment to allied troops in the area. Until December 23, 1943, the unit made flights to several locations in New Guinea, as well as Port Moresby and Australia. After October 16, the air echelon operated from Port Moresby, with the rest of the squadron moving there on December 20, 1943.
In addition to C-47s, the squadron flew a B-17F from February to May 1944 on long-range missions. On April 8, 1944, the 57th flew personnel and equipment from Guadalcanal to forward bases at Munda and Dobodura. The unit supported the invasion of Noemfoor Island on July 2 and on September 23, moved to Biak Island. They made the first trip to Morotai Island on October 5, carrying supplies forward and returning with litter patients.
An additional mission took them to Leyte, Philippine Islands on October 31 to haul supplies to the beachhead and return wounded to hospitals. In January 1945 the unit began the transition to C-46 aircraft. It also moved to San Jose, Mindoro, Philippine Islands, on Feb. 18; then to Porac, Luzon on May 19. C-46s flew from Clark Field, 15 miles from the squadron's camp. On June 16, 1945, the 57th TCS made its first flight to Okinawa, the destination of most missions for the next two months.
The war ended shortly after the move to Clark Field in August and the 57th was used to help transport the 11th Airborne Division to Okinawa. September 20 brought another move, this time to Tachikawa AB near Tokyo. Operations continued in Japan until January 21, 1946 when the last of the personnel and equipment transferred to other organizations. The 57th Troop Carrier Squadron inactivated on March 25, 1946.
The 57th activated in the Reserve at Greater Pittsburgh Airport, PA, as part of the 375thth Carrier Group. The Reservists trained in the C-46 operations until the unit was reactivated on October 15, 1950. Immediately, the unit moved to Greenville (later, Donaldson) AFB, SC, and began flying C-82 aircraft on operational troop carrier missions in November 1950.
Between February 20 and April 11, 1952, the unit operated on temporary duty from Brownswood Municipal Airport, TX, in support of Army maneuvers. On July 14, 1952, the 57th TCS inactivated at Donaldson AFB and activated in the Reserve at Pittsburgh, PA, with new personnel and equipment. The squadron did little training and inactivated on April 1, 1954. Redesignated 57th Military Airlift Squadron (MAS), Training, the squadron was activated at Tinker AFB OK, on 8 January 1966 while also absorbing the men and equipment of the 1741st Air Transport Squadron. The 57th MAS trained aircrew members (Pilots, Navigators, Flight Engineers and Loadmasters) to fly the C-141 turbo-jet transport. They frequently carried cargo and passengers to destinations within the United States on the training flights. The unit also transported cargo and passengers overseas to Japan, Germany, Guam, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska, usually on weekend missions. In later years, additional destinations included Egypt, Korea, Italy, the Philippines, Spain and Africa.
On April 21, 1969, the squadron relocated to Altus AFB OK. From there, the squadron took part in numerous humanitarian and operational missions. The squadron regularly flew to Southwest Asia in support of U.S. forces there. Crews and aircraft flew in the Israeli airlift, October-November 1973. In 1975, the 57th flew its first mission to South America. Occasionally the 57th supported the U.S. Army with airdrop missions of paratroopers and supplies.
In December 1979, the unit received the Air Force's first C-141B, and it was given the name “the City of Altus.” In addition to the stretched fuselage, the aircraft was modified for air refueling capabilities. The squadron also supported the Commander in Chief, Military Airlift Command and his staff in the late 1970s and early 80s.
Airlift missions to Beirut, Lebanon began in August 1983, in support of peacekeeping forces there. During Desert Shield, Desert Storm, 32 aircrews from the squadron flew more than 4,300 hours on 640 sorties. Additionally, the squadron flew more than 200 sorties and transported more than 3,100 tons of food and supplies in support of the Somalia relief efforts during Operation Restore Hope.
The unit was redesignated the 57th Airlift Squadron (AS) on Oct. 1, 1991. In April 1993, with the transfer of 285 flightline maintenance personnel to the 57th AS, the squadron combined aircrew operations with maintenance operations to form the largest combined maintenance and aircrew operational C-141B squadron in the Air Force. On July 1, 1993 the squadron came under the Air Education and Training Command. The squadron was the sole source for initial qualifications and advanced training in C-141 strategic airlift aircraft. It was selectively manned to train C-141 aircrew members in airland, aerial delivery and aerial refueling. The 57th flew approximately 2,000 sorties and 8,500 hours annually to provide specialized flight training to over 900 students. In addition, the squadron maintained world-wide qualification and participates in most national, USTRANSCOM directed airlift operations. The 57th Airlift Squadron was inactivated September 2001 at Altus AFB, OK.
Redesignated 57th Weapons Squadron (WPS) on 30 May 2003 and activated on 1 June 2003 at Mcguire AFB, NJ. The 57th WPS would provide graduate-level instructor academic and flying courses to C-17 crew members.
Assignments: 375th Troop Carrier Group, 18 Nov 1942-25 Mar 1946. 375th Troop Carrier Group, 3 Aug 1947-14 Jul 1952. 375th Troop Carrier Group, 14 Jul 1952-1 Apr 1954. 443rd Military Airlift (later, 443rd Airlift) Wing, 8 Jan 1966; 443rd Operations Group, 1 Oct 1991; 97th Operations Group, 1 Oct 1992-30 Sep 2001. USAF Mobility Weapons School, 1 Jun 2003; USAF Weapons School, 5 Jul 2006-.
Stations: Bowman Field, KY, 18 Nov 1942; Sedalia AAFld, MO, 23 Jan 1943; Laurinburg-Maxton AAB, NC, 5 May 1943; Baer Field, IN, 3-17 Jun 1943; Port Moresby, New Guinea, 29 Jun 1943; Dobodura, New Guinea, 2 Aug 1943; Port Moresby, New Guinea, 20 Dec 1943; Nadzab, New Guinea, 22 Apr 1944; Biak, 23 Sep 1944 (operated from Peleliu, 9-26 Jan 1945); San Jose, Mindoro, 18 Feb 1945; Porac, Luzon, 20 May 1945; Okinawa, 20 Aug 1945; Tachikawa, Japan, 20 Sep 1945-25 Mar 1946. Greater Pittsburgh Aprt, PA, 3 Aug 1947; Greenville (later, Donaldson) AFB, SC, 16 Oct 1950-14 Jul 1952. Pittsburgh, PA, 14 Jul 1952-1 Apr 1954. Tinker AFB, OK, 8 Jan 1966; Altus AFB, OK, 21 Apr 1969-30 Sep 2001. McGuire AFB, NJ, 1 Jun 2003-.
Commanders: Unkn, 18-19 Nov 1942; Capt Lucian N. Powell, 20 Nov 1942; 1Lt Benjamin C. King, 22 Mar 1943; Capt James C. Smith, 27 Nov 1944; Capt Fred M. Starr, 24 Jun 1945-unkn. Maj George F. Swearingen, 3 Aug 1947; Maj James M. Thomas, 20 May 1949; Capt George Kacsuta, 15 Oct 1950; Maj Earl J. Smith, 7 Nov 1950; Capt Robert W. Smith, c. Dec 1951-unkn. Unkn, 14 Jul 1952-1 Apr 1954. Lt Col Therman C. Weir, 8 Jan 1966; Col Roger P. Larivee, 11 Oct 1966; Lt Col Ralph D. Haaf, 1 Aug 1968; Lt Col Thomas J. Overton, 28 Nov 1969; Lt Col Barney J. Milner, by 31 Dec 1970; Lt Col Kenneth E. Klein, 1 Dec 1971; Lt Col Leonard W. Dasbach, 23 Nov 1972; Lt Col Richard L. Davis, 24 May 1973; Lt Col Roy B. Dille Jr., 20 May 1974; Lt Col Gary S. Baker, 2 Feb 1976; Lt Col Francis J. Almeter, 2 Jul 1976; Lt Col Joseph L. Bergeron, 13 Feb 1978; Lt Col Carleton R. Philbrick, 9 Apr 1979; Lt Col Larry R. Winchell, 25 Aug 1980; Lt Col John C. Tait, 26 May 1981; Lt Col Bobby O. Floyd, 14 Jul 1982; Lt Col James C. Schaffer, 1 Jun 1984; Lt Col Richard B. Bundy, 27 Jun 1986; Lt Col Martin D. Amelung, 4 Apr 1988; Lt Col Robert A. Saunders, 27 Mar 1990; Lt Col Stephen B. Frye, 15 Jun 1992; Lt Col Mark C. Wido, 18 Jun 1993; Lt Col John H. Christ, 23 Jun 1994; Lt Col Russell J. Deluca, 13 Jun 1995; Lt Col Frederick H. Martin, 31 Mar 1997; Lt Col Bruce E. Card, 30 Jun 1998; Lt Col Richard J. Walberg, 3 Apr 2000-30 Sep 2001. Lt Col John J. Sullivan, 1 Jun 2003; Lt Col John J. Roscoe, 27 Jun 2005; Lt Col Walter C. Daniels, II, 2 Jul 2007; Lt Col Christopher B. Collett, 23 Jun 2009; Lt Col Brian J. Wald, 24 Jun 2011; Lt Col Shawn Serfass, 16 Jun 2013; Lt Col Chuck Polomsky, 16 July 2015 - presently.
Aircraft: C-47, 1942-1945; B-17, 1944; C-46, 1944-1946; C-46, 1947-1950; C-82; 1950-1952. C-46; 1953-1954; C-141, 1966-2001; C-17, 2003-.
Operations: Aerial transportation in Southwest and Western Pacific during World War II; airborne assault on Nadzab, New Guinea, 5 Sep 1945. Provided aircrew flight training in the C-141 aircraft and worldwide airlift, 1966-2001. Provided training for USAF weapons officers, C-17 2003-.
Service Streamers: None.
Campaign Streamers: World War II: Air Offensive, Japan; New Guinea; Northern Solomons; Bismarck Archipelago; Western Pacific; Leyte; Luzon; Southern Philippines; Ryukyus.
Armed Forces Expeditionary Streamers: None
Decorations: Air Force Outstanding Unit Awards: 1 Apr 1967-31 Mar 1969; 1 Apr 1970-31 Mar 1972; 1 Jul 1979-30 Jun 1981; 1 Jul 1985-30 Jun 1987; 1 Jul 1991-30 Jun 1993; 1 Jul 1993-30 Jun 1994; 1 Jul 1994-30 Jun 1995; 1 Jul 1995-30 Jun 1996; 1 Jul 1996-30 Jun 1998; 1 Jul 1998-30 Jun 1999; 1 Jul 1999-30 Jun 2000; 1 Jul 2000-[30 Sep 2001]; 1 Jun 2004-31 May 2006. Philippine Presidential Unit Citation (WWII). Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm: 1 Apr 1966-28 Jan 1973.
Emblem: Azure, a pair of wings Or, garnished Gold Brown surmounted by two arrows saltewise of the like, overall a torch of the third flamant Proper fimbriated Argent, all between in base three double mullets, Yellow offset on White, each issuing a four lined contrail arcing to the flame of the torch of the last; all within an inner bordure Or and an outer diminished bordure of the first. Approved c. May 1966 (K 14279).
Connect with us: FaceBooK
C-141, 57th MAS, 57 AS, 57th WPS