707th Airlift Squadron
707th Military Airlift Squadron
707th Airlift Squadron Patch
707th Military Airlift Squadron History and Lineage
Activated 1 April 1943 at Davis-Monthan AAB, Arizona were Initial assembly began. The unit moved to Alamogordo, New Mexico on 6 June 1943, but immediately moved again to Lowry AAB, Colorado, where the training was completed. The ground unit left on 18 October 1943 for Camp Shanks, New York and embarked on the Queen Mary on 25 October 1943. They sailed on 27 October 1943 and arrived in Clyde on 2 November 1943. The aircraft left Lowry AAB on 20 October 1943 for Lincoln AAB, Neb. The aircraft flew via the southern route from Florida, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Dakar, and Marrakash to England. One aircraft was lost on the Puerto Rico leg, and one aircraft was shot down when it strayed off course into France. Upon arrival in England, the 707th was assigned to the 446th Bombardment Group which was assigned to the Eighth Air Force 20th Combat Bombardment Wing and the group tail code was a "Circle-H".
War II action included bombing U-boat installations at Kiel, the port at Bremen, a chemical plant at Ludwigshafen, ball-bearing works at Berlin, aero-engine plants at Rostock, aircraft factories at Munich, marshalling yards at Coblenz, motor works at Ulm, and oil refineries at Hamburg.
Besides strategic missions, the unit often carried out support and interdictory operations. It supported the Normandy invasion in June 1944 by attacking strong points, bridges, airfields, transportation, and other targets in France. Aided ground forces at Caen and Saint-Lô during July by hitting bridges, gun batteries, and enemy troops. Dropped supplies to Allied troops near Nijmegen during the airborne attack on Holland in September. Bombed marshalling yards, bridges, and road junctions during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 - January 1945. Dropped supplies to airborne and ground troops near Wesel during the Allied assault across the Rhine in March 1945.
The 707th flew its last combat mission on 25 April, attacking a bridge near Salzburg.
Redeployed to the US June/July 1945. First of the aircraft departed the United Kingdom on mid-June 1945. One aircraft was lost over the Azores on the return flight to the US. The ground echelon sailed from Greenock on the Queen Mary on the sixth of July 1945, arriving in New York on 11 July 1945. Personnel to Camp Kilmer and had 30 days R and R. Small cadre of personnel reassembled at Sioux Falls Army Air Field, South Dakota in July to begin transition training on B-29 Superfortresses. Training canceled after Japanese Capitulation and general demobilization of the AAF led to the squadron's inactivation in August 1945.
Reactivated as an Air Force Reserve squadron in April 1948, scheduled to be equipped with B-29 Superfortress aircraft at Lubbock AFB, Texas, but never fully manned or equipped. Inactivated in 1950 due to budget reductions. Reactivated at Charleston AFB, South Carolina as part of the 315 Military Airlift Wing (Associate) equipped with C-141A Starlifters.
Lineage: Constituted 707th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 20 Mar 1943; Activated on 1 Apr 1943; Inactivated on 28 Aug 1945. Redesignated 707th Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 7 Apr 1948; Activated in the reserve on 22 Apr 1948 and Inactivated on 28 Mar 1950. Activated in the reserves 1 July 1973; Inactivated 30 June 2000.
Assignments: 446th Bombardment Group, 1 Apr 1943-28 Aug 1945; 22 Apr 1948; Twelfth Air Force, 27 Jun 1949-28 Mar 1950; 315th Military Airlift Wing (Associate); 315th Airlift Wing (Associate).
Commanders: Lt Col Edward Eugene Lusk, XX XXX XXXX; Lt Col Charles L. Early Jr., Feb 1995 - Oct 1996; Lt Col Robert S. Hart, Jul 1998 – Dec 1999;
(Help me complete this section by sending names...)
Stations: Davis-Monthan AAB 1 Apr – 6 Jun 1943; Lowry Field, Colorado, 8 Jun-c. 24 Oct 1943; RAF Flixton (AAF-125), England, 4 Nov 1943-5 Jul 1945; Sioux Falls Army Air Field, South Dakota, 15 Jul-28 Aug 1945; Lubbock AFB, Texas, 22 Apr 1948-28 Mar 1950; Charleston AFB, South Carolina 1 July 1973-30 June 2000.
Aircraft: B-24, 1943–1945; C-141, 1973-2000.